Keir Starmer ABANDONS plan to cancel local elections after Nigel Farage launched legal action

Feb 16, 2026 - 17:52
 0  0
Keir Starmer ABANDONS plan to cancel local elections after Nigel Farage launched legal action

Sir Keir Starmer has been forced to abandon his plan to cancel local elections for 4.5 million voters after Nigel Farage launched legal action in the High Court.

Labour had approved postponing polls in 30 local authorities, citing the Ministry of Housing & Local Government's drastic restructuring of councils.


However, ministers today confirmed that the legislation would be revoked after the department received legal advice warning that the potential postponement could be deemed illegal.

Local Government Secretary Steve Reed penned a 353-word letter to council leaders earlier today confirming the U-turn.



Mr Reed wrote: The Government can confirm that all local elections in May 2026 will now go ahead.

"I recognise that many of the local councils undergoing reorganisation voiced genuine concerns about the pressure they are under as we seek to deliver the most ambitious reforms of local government in a generation.

"I am therefore announcing today that we will provide up to £63million in additional capacity funding to the 21 local areas undergoing reorganisation across the whole programme, building on the £7.6million provided for developing proposals last year.

"I will shortly set out further detail about how that funding will be allocated."


Keir Starmer appears to have performed his 14th U-turn as PM



Mr Reed enlisted the support of Housing Minister Matthew Pennycook over whether it was time to reconsider the decision.

Labour previously claimed that the looming reorganisation of local authorities would make elections expensive, complicated and unnecessary.

Mr Reed told GB News last month: "It's not denying democracy... It's speeding up elections to the new councils that will replace the councils that are being that are being closed down. And I think that is sensible."

However, the Electoral Commission had raised particular concerns about the decision to enact "double delays" for West Sussex, East Sussex, Suffolk, Norfolk and Surrey.

LATEST DEVELOPMENTS



Nigel Farage


Responding to Sir Keir's 15th major U-turn, Mr Farage hailed Reform UK's victory over the Labour Government.

The Reform UK leader said: “We took this Labour Government to court and won.

"In collusion with the Tories, Keir Starmer tried to stop 4.6 million people voting on May 7. Only Reform UK fights for democracy.”

Mr Farage is also expected to be the main political beneficiary of 30 council elections now getting the go-ahead for May 7.



READ IN FULL: Steve Reed's letter to local councils


A JL Partners mega-poll of 5,000 voters revealed Labour will lose an extra 93 councillors in contests previously postponed.

Meanwhile, Reform UK could hoover up an extra 129 gains, with the Green Party also snatching 44 wards.

Mr Farage is hoping to make yet more gains in Essex, with Thurrock and Basildon emerging as top targets for Reform UK.

Labour could also lose control of Blackburn & Darwen, Cannock Chase, Exeter, Preston and Worthing.



Steve Reed sent a letter to council leaders earlier today


Reform UK's lawyers were expected to argue: "In an irrational world, of which examples might be world wars and coronavirus, there may be limited rationality to postpone elections, but in peacetime, free of world crisis, it is patently irrational.

"It stands in contradiction to the basis of the country, namely democratic rights and the basis of individual rights within the country."

GB News has also revealed how local residents have fought back against the postponement of council elections.

Norfolk County Councillor Simon Ring resigned in protest of the delay, triggering a by-election.



Reform UK claimed victory in the 2025 Local Elections


Meanwhile, tense scenes in Basildon prompted Reform UK's Sam Journet to warn that the Essex town was "waking up" to Labour.

Residents have even threatened to stop paying council tax in the wake of the postponement.

A Government spokesman said: “Following legal advice, the Government has withdrawn its original decision to postpone 30 local elections in May.

“Providing certainty to councils about their local elections is now the most crucial thing and all local elections will now go ahead in May 2026.”




What's Your Reaction?

Like Like 0
Dislike Dislike 0
Love Love 0
Funny Funny 0
Angry Angry 0
Sad Sad 0
Wow Wow 0